“What would the church look like if everyone in the church used their God-given gifts and talents to equip the rest of the church in such a way that the entire church became more like Jesus?” For if the whole church looked and lived more like Jesus, how much more would our neighborhoods and cities look more like heaven? – JR Woodard
The Pastoral Staff has been hard at work in preparing to equip the church in this next season of life together. Early this week, we’ll share the details of what the church can expect. This document will serve as a primer in better understanding why we’re beginning “here” and what to expect from each space we’re creating. Our goal is to prompt each one of us to take a deeper step in our walk with Christ; we make the road by walking.
DISCIPLESHIP IS THE GOAL
It’s all about equipping the people of the Church to be more like Jesus in a world that needs the love of Jesus. Christian discipleship is about calling others to join us in practicing a way of life in which we embody (flesh out) the life of Jesus in the context of the world as we journey to fulfill God’s mission together.*
- Discipleship is a way of life, not an intellectual assimilation of ideas or a program.
- We must deliberately practice discipleship in our daily lives, if we want to disciple others; It’s essential for us to practice what we teach.
- Discipleship is about inviting people to become whole again, to become more like Jesus, overcoming destructive habits and building life-giving habits
- Discipleship takes place in the street and the sanctuary, the classroom and the living room, its about being “with people” in everyday life
- Discipleship happens when we are on mission together, joining God in the renewal of all things.
Explore the primary tool we’re using to develop three unique spaces of belonging in Fall 2022.
Explore our fall programming guide
Short on time? Here’s a snapshot of what to expect this fall
* Woodard, JR. Creating a Missional Culture: Equipping the Church for the Sake of the World